Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Boat ride, Bible Study & Nanaimo bars!
































Hello dear friends and family,

I'm into my second week at Amani now...... time flies when you have lots of babies to feed, cuddle and play with, and nappies to change!!
Last Saturday we took some of the 3- and 4-year-olds on a boat trip on the Nile. Since there are 8 volunteers currently, we could take 8 children, though actually we took 9 because one sort of sneaked in to the group waiting to leave and we didn't have the heart to say she couldn't come. The children were over-the-moon excited. They go on outings on rotation, so each one doesn't actually leave the Amani compound very often. My buddy was Francis, aged 4, whose adoptive family are actually arriving from the States tomorrow.

We packed into the Amani mini-van and drove to the Speake obelisk at the source of the Nile ~ where the Nile leaves Lake Victoria on its 6,000 km (?) journey north through Sudan and the Sahara to the Mediterranean. John Manning Speke finally identified the "true" source of the Nile as being this very spot in 1862, because a substantial spring used to flow from this spot. This supposedly ended the centuries-long debate, however, Uganda's claim to the source of the Nile is still hotly debated by other countries further upstream.

The boat was just big enough to accomodate our group, and was close to the water. The kids loved it! We went out into the river and wandered along the shoreline and around some small islands, including one that has a huge square block of cement that apparently sealed the spring when they made a dam. We saw lots of birds, including a malachite kingfisher resplendant in orangy-buff in front and iridescent turquoise behind. We also saw a water monitor (lizard that can grow up to about 6 ft.), and, most exciting of all, a troup of velvet monkeys in the trees ~ at least that is what one person called them. My book refers to them as Vervet monkeys! We spent about 1 1/2 hours on the boat and found it a most enjoyable time for all. Francis liked watching the two fishermen in the long narrow boat thrown their net out into the water and pull it in again.

As some of you know, I led the weekly Bible Study for the volunteers and Mamas today. I am so grateful to all of those who were upholding me during the preparation and the presentation. I talked about God's love for us, and through us to others. I wanted to sing 'Jesus Loves Me' (the African version that has lots of hand-clapping) in Luganda ~ their local language. So, earlier in the day. I approached several Mamas to ask how to say it, and they all told me something different! I told them that that was too confusing, and please would they come up with a consensus.... which they did, and we all enjoyed singing it aat the B. Study. Siouxanne told me that she really liked what I had to say, and apparently the Mamas told her (and me) that they appreciated it too... so all praise to God!

On the surface, Uganda is a delightful country, but not far below the surface there is a lot of evil stuff going on ~ witchcraft is pervasive, endless duplicity and fraud, as well as many illnesses and deaths, not only from HIV, and not only Ugandans. I cannot walk safely outside the gate of the Amani compound at night. But I don't, so don't worry! So I feel that it is important to take the opportunity to teach when possible.

Tonight I went over to Siouxanne's house, which is a 10-min. stroll from Amani. S. is both the Amani nurse, and also the volunteer co-ordinator...so a busy lady. Being of "a certain age" as I am, we gravitate towards each other, amongst all the early-twenties.... who are nevertheless mostly very nice. Knowing I was coming from Canada, she e-mailed me to ask me if I could make Nanaimo bars (other end of the country, but O well!). I told her no, but that if she'd tell me what she couldn't get in Jinja, I'd bring it with me. So I did, and tonight we made them. The only bummer for me is that I seem to be as sensitive to chocolate as to coffee in terms of being able to sleep after ingesting them, so I'll have to wait until breakfast!

Several people have said that thy have been unable to add a comment to the blog.If you have something you'd like to say, you can always e-mail me at jjstafiej@gmail.com.

Much love to all, and I am praying for you all at St. Stephen's,

Jill
Photos:
~ Francis and me waiting to leave for the boat trip
~ Snowy egrets on water hyacinth islands on the Nile
~ looking at the 'velvet' monkeys
~ singing 'Yesu njagala' ~ Jesus loves me
~ Chief Mama Lois reading People magazine to Gift
~ Bonafamu ~ a cheerful little lad who loves balls and cars
~ Shop sign in Jinja
~ suppertime for Baby Room C ~ babies who are able to walk.
Supper is rice and beans, eaten Ugandan style with the hands




























































1 comment:

  1. Love those photos Jill, keep them coming! Really glad to see how happy you look in the picture of you and that adorable little boy!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete