Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Official witness to a land transfer deal in a bush village!!




Hello dear family and friends,




I sadly left Amani yesterday ~ I had grown close to many of the babies, toddlers, volunteers, Mamas and staff. I had hoped to slip discreetly away, but Camille arrived as everyone who was available was having their weekly Bible Study on the lawn under the tree just by the driveway, so I was waved off by practically everyone! It was nice to be told by many that I would be missed and that they regretted that I had to leave.




Today I had a most unusual day.


A significant tract of land was to be formally donated to an AOSC Rescue Unit in a small bush village called Bonafu. Camille arranged for the meeting to start at 10 am ~ so we left at 9 am for the 2 hour trip there... this is Africa, remember. En route we went by the thatched hut of the elderly man and his wife who were making the donation to "pick them" and take them with us. They knew we were coming, but were still asleep when we arrived!




We arrived at 11 am after a wonderful, bouncy jaunt through the backwoods of Uganda, with so many sights and scenes to fascinate the eye. One day I'd like to drive through such areas in a rented car so that I could stop and take all the photos I'd like to (be warned, Jack!) instead of trying to take photos through a side window and at a random angle!




Of course, no one else had arrived for the meeting yet, so we were shown around the RU, and also around the substantial acreage that was being donated. I also visited the latrine ~ a "long drop" with a square hole in the concrete floor that was abuzz with flies ~ maybe you could say that desperation is the mother of bravery?




Gradually people started to arrive in individuals and small groups. It seems that many people in the clan had come to see what was going on and to have their say. At 2 pm(!) the meeting finally started. Camille and I and all the men sat on chairs. All the women, despite the age of some of them, and a couple of babies, sat on grass mats on the earth floor.




A presentation was made to explain what this was all about, questions were asked and answered, a new person showed up, so it was all explained again, the neighbours on either side of the plot of land had to be consulted, the area land manager made some comments (this was all done in Lusoga, but Camille's co-worker, Peter Nkutu, translated quietly for Camille and me), and finally an agreement was made to everyone's satisfaction.




(... to be continued. I'm at an internet cafe, and hope to get back tomorrow since there is no internet at TMU.)




FYI: I'll be leaving for Entebbe for a few days on Sunday, then flying to the Uk on Wed. Mar. 4th, and to Mtl. on Mar. 8th.... but I'll be talking to you again before then.




I love you all,


Jill


Photos:

Jill with favourite baby-friend, Isaac, aged 14 mths.

Fun on a boda-boda!

No comments:

Post a Comment